Friday, February 08, 2008

The King and a room

“It’s an Evil fucking room” was the scariest line of 1408, the horror flick based on Stephen King’s novella. Before we could proceed through the movie, my best friend sank in his seat stuffing his fingers in his ears. I got busy watching Cussak, who was cute and my friend, whose expressions were cuter. Agreed, King isn’t for the faint hearted, but frankly, I am disappointed. I am a Stephen King fan. I love his books. They are what I call mind spook. They give me goosebumps. But I never liked any film adaptations of his novels. While Carrie was passable, Dreamcatcher was down right ugly!
Coming back to 1408, it has all the chills (literally!)and cheap thrills (bleeding walls, talking spirits, moving furniture, impaired electronics et al) but it wasn’t scary. Hell, even the entertainment quotient is just average. The cocky cute hero turns into a pathetic shivering jelly brain. That’s the essence of the storyline. I don’t know about my friend, but watching this wouldn’t keep me up in strange beds in strange hotel rooms when I am traveling.

4 comments:

Dusty Fog said...

it is a scary movie? says who.....jeez....!!!!

DreamCatcher said...

dusty: nah it's not scary atall except some people couldn't eat their sandwich because they had to stick their fingers in their ears and cover their eyes...

RustyNeurons said...

I have not seen Carrie, but I didnt like the book either. Dreamcatcher was such a horrible movie..
I love King too - but other adaptations are quite good (Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile)
I was plannin on 1408 :( will hav to give it a miss I guess...
He had also written a book called 'Gerald's Game' - have you read it? Funny thing with that book is, when you read it, it's kinda fine, but keeps you awake after a week! The scariest ever..

DreamCatcher said...

rusty: I didn't like Carrie either..I like reading Dreamcatcher not the film...i loved Salem's Lot, the TV series...but in terms fright scale I loved Needful Things and yes, Gerald's Game....and the Shining!