Friday, April 27, 2007

Smoke Signal?

A law to ban smoking in public places could save more lives more quickly than the development of a single new anti-cancer drug - according to Cancer Research UK.
The Indian Government finally seems to have woken up to this reality and has announced a definitive plan to ban public smoking in Delhi and Mumbai by 2009. The announcement is a welcome move. But how far this will be successfully implemented is a matter of debate.
According to the World Health Organisation, tobacco causes one in 10 deaths worldwide which translates to someone in the world dying of a smoking-related disease, every eight seconds.
Overwhelmed?
Consider this.
By 2010, it is estimated that the annual global cost of tobacco use will be half a trillion USD. This is more money than the combined Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of 174 of the 192 member countries of the United Nations.
In India, the cigarette market is growing at around 4% every year, but what is more worrying is that the non smoking tobacco segment, including guthka, chewing tobacco, zarda, has seen 15 per cent growth. The hike in excise duties on both cigerette and bidis in this year’s budget maynot dent either the production or the consumption pattern. Also, it maybe too soon to comment. Just like every-where-else in the ‘developing world’, the tobacco lobby is strong and would have a covet operation plan to counter this move by the government.
Personally, to smoke or not is a matter of individual choice. But in a public setting this freedom of choice need not exist. I am reassured that the Government is taking this into cognizance and taking steps towards smoke-free public space.
Sorry folks. Smoke, if you have to. Just keep your butt out of our public places.

10 comments:

RustyNeurons said...

know what? there are few people who would think it is unfashionable to say that they are offended by the others' smoking in company. I mean, why should it be a big deal if I decide to protect my lungs out of passive smoking? Is my image more important than my airway?

Shubhojit said...

Is the cigarette smoke more dangerous than all the industrial waste thats emitted every day. Or the carbon monoxide which are passed out by the vehicles on the road. They are actually the main cause of all lung diseases.

Well to smoke or not is really a personal choice. & if there are demarcated smoking areas in public places like you have in airports or restaurants, nobody really minds going to those places and fag.

DreamCatcher said...

RN: Thanks. I completely agree. One should not be inhibited to say NO just for sake of social niceties. I have on occasions gone up to people and requested them to stub it. Now it maybe because I am charming (amen!) but more often than not smokers co-operate with my request. I strongly feel that if you don’t have the guts to ask someone to stop something you do not like in public then you better live with it.

DreamCatcher said...

SJ: Comparing industrial smoke to tobacco smoking is like comparing apples to oranges. They are different things. And if you ask me I would rather deal with something that's in my immediate control, which is my puffing neighbour at my fav bistro :) Also, as I mentioned, smoking is a matter of personal choice and I choose NOT to smoke secondhand in a public place. :)

RustyNeurons said...

I agree with you DC, and YES, Lets handle whats in our reach first than worry about what we can only crib about..

Shubhojit said...

Well Ireland has banned smoking. You cant smoke in pubs too. Now thats Draconian. I agree that designated public places should be 'no smoking' like my office building. I always have to go out of the main gate & crib a lot about how stupid it is not to have a smoking zone in the parking lot. Its times like these when you push too much that people revolt. I have seen many go to the staircase & fag. Afterall cigarette isn't illegal then how can the consumption be.
And smokers have rights too :)

DreamCatcher said...

SJ: Smoking in parking ares is a no no. A fire could prove disastrous. I am glad your building managers has ensured smokers suffer pain while finding an area to smoke :) And yes I agree the smoking ban in pubs is taking it a bit far but then there should be smoking and non smoking pubs :) (but that would be bad economics!)
Yes smokers have rights. They have every right to kill themselves. That's why in certain social system smokers pay extra for their health insurance.

Shubhojit said...

I dont think we can come to an agreement on this. But yes I do agree that in the company on non-smokers, smokers should not light up in public places. & non-smokers likewise should not smirk when smokers light up in designated smoking zones.
My office in US has smoking zones in the parking lots with those ashstands and extinguishers. Where's the question of fire here?

DreamCatcher said...

SJ : Let the good senses prevail. Amen! :) And smoking in occupied parking lots, is a huge ignition hazard. Slowly most large institutions are extending the ban on smoking in parking areas. And who says the Americans are smarter where it comes to assessing risks? :)(OK lets agree to disagree on this..lol)

Shubhojit said...

Amen!! :)