Tuesday, March 24, 2009

radio ga ga

I am a self-confessed radio junkie. Between full-time work and a boisterous eight-year old, my music listening happens while driving to and from work and often during late nights on weekends. I guess I have to thank the Galvin brothers for that. I am lazy enough not to organize my CDs and MP3s to make the songs easily accessible and I like to be surprised, so radio works for me. I am a sucker for the retro shows. Mostly because I don’t have to wonder about the words! Ok, now about the two songs this morning…

Black Velvet by Alannah Myles. This has been an old favourite (1989 is positively retro). There is something about her raspy voice that oozes languid insolence. It is so refreshing to hear the opening score of the song. I had spent hours imagining myself in those leather boots and felt hat singing and strumming in front of Elvis-crazed fans. Sigh. That was the only time I wanted crinkly hair.

You Found Me by The Fray. Débuting last November, this one is comparatively super-fresh modern. This song has all the Nirvanasque angst and melancholy minus the guitar riffs. Despite the depressive lyrics that talk about the hopelessness and disappointment that life offers, it is a strangely uplifitng song.

Listen in…

5 comments:

Roy said...

maybe I am getting old but I find myself unable to listen to anything more modern than 1995...in that sense, radio does not cut it for me.

DreamCatcher said...

Roy: Me too...I am still stuck in 60s and 70s :)

Shubhojit said...

I never thought that there would be anothe Black Velvet fan. Loved it from the year it got released :)

Renovatio said...

The sheer prospect of tuning into the radio makes me shiver.

DreamCatcher said...

@SJ: I am sure theer are many!!

@Reno: and why is that? :)